Forum Name: Other infections

Question: help please

mickeymouse123 - Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:02 pm

I need help, exactly a week ago i cut my finger while getting ready to move back into my dorm, and now i am at school an hour away from home, and I think it is infected. It hurts extremely bad if i move my finger at all. My question is how long should I wait before I go to a doctor, yesterday was the first day it was like this, I went and bought some neosporin and have been putting that on it regularly, but it looks worse today. I just don't know how long to let it be like this.

Thanks,

Elizabeth
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:40 am

User avatar Hi mickeymouse123,
How deep was the cut and what were you cut on? How long has it been since you have had a tetanus vaccination? Current recommendations are for everyone to receive a Tetanus-diphtheria vaccination at least every 10 years to maintain your immunity. If you get a tetanus prone wound, then recommendation is that you receive the shot at least every five years. Contrary to most beliefs of the general population it's not only when you become injured by a "rusty nail" that vaccination is necessary. If it is a minor cut, that didn't require stitches, cleanse the area with an antibacterial product, and apply the antibacterial ointment. There should be an improvement in a couple of days. If not, have an evaluation completed. However, if you are showing any signs of a systemic infection, fever, chills, etc. and the redness/pain continues to increase have an evaluation done immediately.

|