Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Can you get HSV2 outbreaks on the elbow?

Naomi - Wed May 20, 2009 12:51 am

I was recently told I have HSV2 after a STD screening. I have never had a genital outbreak (although I am aware I can be asymptamatic); however, I do have something on my elbow that seems suspiciously like a Herpes outbreak. When I get stressed I get an itching feeling, then the next day it breaks out with a small cluster of blisters that then break and scab over. I usually get these outbreaks 1-2 times a year, and they are specific to the one spot on my elbow.

I am wondering: 1) if what is on my elbow could be HSV2, 2) is the site of infection the only place you get an outbreak (I am aware it can be spread, but I am wondering if for example you were infected on your genitals if you could get an outbreak on your elbow as a symptom), 3) can the virus be spread only from the site of infection, or does it shed from various areas on your skin, and 4) is it possible to have gotten a false positive result for HSV2 from another strain of the virus present in the body (i.e. elbow)?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:50 am

User avatar While HSV2 is known to affect extragenital sites,it is also known the recurrences in these sites are extremely unlikely.

|