Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Pilonidal abcsess-tonsillitis-extremly strong cold. Related?

dedetrivella - Sun May 31, 2009 6:09 am

Hi

I am a 19 years old male student, I live in Birmingham UK and I am usually healthy. I couldn't tell you when the last time I needed to go to the hospital was. What is worrying me now is that, I have currently traveled to Brazil in eastern and have been sick since i got back. More worryingly is that its more than one medical condition that is bothering me at the same time.
Firstly as I cam back, I had a very strong cold, felt very weak, drowsy, had a fever. As soon as that was gone my wisdom teeth started to make its way out through the gum, and now currently I am suffering froom a Pilonidal abscess and tonsillitis, which is very unusual for me who am never sick. Now having more than one condition at once.
I would just like to know if there are any possibilities that these are linked, or has my immune system weakened due to the cold, could the tonsillitis have aroused from the antibiotics (flucloxacillin) I am currently taking beacause of the pilonidal abscess ? Could any of this be linked to any STDs

Thank you for your time
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:41 am

User avatar Hello,While a viral infection does pave way for secondary bacterial infection in the same system like respiratory,it is not likely to affect the formation of a plinoidal sinus.Flucloxacillin too is a safe antibiotic from this angle.However there is some belief that a chronic septic focus could act as an inductor to disease else where, like tooth infection and skin.The conditions mentioned are non std, however it would be prudent to rule out if there has been an exposure to STD by appropriate tests.Best wishes.

|