News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Pilonidal abcsess-tonsillitis-extremly strong cold. Related?

dedetrivella - Sun May 31, 2009 6:09 am

Hi

I am a 19 years old male student, I live in Birmingham UK and I am usually healthy. I couldn't tell you when the last time I needed to go to the hospital was. What is worrying me now is that, I have currently traveled to Brazil in eastern and have been sick since i got back. More worryingly is that its more than one medical condition that is bothering me at the same time.
Firstly as I cam back, I had a very strong cold, felt very weak, drowsy, had a fever. As soon as that was gone my wisdom teeth started to make its way out through the gum, and now currently I am suffering froom a Pilonidal abscess and tonsillitis, which is very unusual for me who am never sick. Now having more than one condition at once.
I would just like to know if there are any possibilities that these are linked, or has my immune system weakened due to the cold, could the tonsillitis have aroused from the antibiotics (flucloxacillin) I am currently taking beacause of the pilonidal abscess ? Could any of this be linked to any STDs

Thank you for your time
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:41 am

User avatar Hello,While a viral infection does pave way for secondary bacterial infection in the same system like respiratory,it is not likely to affect the formation of a plinoidal sinus.Flucloxacillin too is a safe antibiotic from this angle.However there is some belief that a chronic septic focus could act as an inductor to disease else where, like tooth infection and skin.The conditions mentioned are non std, however it would be prudent to rule out if there has been an exposure to STD by appropriate tests.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here