Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Contact of coagulated blood with penis

Dr Haisook - Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:41 am

Today while I was in the bathroom I got a patch of blood on the top of my penis (I'm circumcised). My penis is not wounded, and there are no visible cuts/openings. The blood happened to be that of my mother's last menstruation. It was dark and dry. I'd say it was coagulated and had been on the toilet for a couple of days.

I live in Egypt, and hepatitis B and C are endemic here. It's possible, and may be likely, that my mother is infected with hepatitis B or C. But we do not know. I'm vaccinated with HBV vaccine.

What I did is that I washed my penis immediately and applied a common antiseptic alcoholic solution using a piece of cloth.

My question is: how much is the risk of getting infected with HBV or HCV for me in this case? and what should I do now? I'm very worried.

I'd appreciate your input.

Thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:44 am

User avatar If your mucosa is not eroded by an ulceration or cut there are less chances.However your mother can be tested and if found positive appropriate action for prophylaxis may be initiated early.

|