News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Reoccurring Eye Infection (Pink Eye)

jkary69 - Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:01 am

My little girl, who is a little over a year old, woke up one morning with a yellow, dry crust in her eye. The eye was also swollen. We brought her in to the Pediatrician immediately fearing it might be "Pink Eye". The doctor told us it was and prescribed an antibiotic eye drop for her. He informed us that this drop would clear things up and it did. We used the drop for about 4 days. It seemed to work great, but about a week later she awoke with the same symptoms. We feared we didn't use the drops long enough, so we continued the drops for an additional week. During this time we were sanitizing everywhere she had touched and changing her sheets, etc. The infection looked much better and we were out of drops so we thought things had finally cleared up. After her eye had been clear for about a week and a half it came back for the third time. We've since gotten some more drops. This is getting frustrating and more than that I really feel sorry for her, even though she doesn't seem affected by it. What can be causing this reoccurring eye infection and how can we get this thing licked for good? I really appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you.
 Debra Van Ness RN - Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:17 pm

Is it possible she is getting exposed over and over again? Do you have any pets? Sometimes cats carry pink eye. Somewhat of a mystery to me is that it is only affecting one eye though. Children normally will rub one eye, then touch the other at some point and infect both eyes in that manner.
Pink eye (conjunctivitis) is highly contagious. Does she go to daycare where she may be continually exposed to the infection from another child?
Please do see the doctor again. Perhaps he can find something to help clear it up better. Maybe even an oral antibiotic.
Another concern is that it may actually be some other problem rather than pink eye. Consider an opthamologist also.
Debra Van Ness RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here