Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Cluster of red lumps and dry, flakey skin in pubic hair area

N1K - Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:57 am

Please help, I am too embarassed to go see a doctor.

A few months ago I had received oral sex without a condom and had sexual intercourse with a condom, a few days later I noticed this itching sensation in my pubic hair area just above the shaft of my penis, when I went to scratch, I noticed a couple of red lumps. I thought nothing of it and put it at the back of my mind thinking it will go away, however it has now been a good few months and now I have developed a couple more red lumps and the skin in around the lumpy area has gone really dry and flakey. I do not and have never clean shaved my pubic hairs (i just trim it).

Does this sound like a STD? Or an infection of some kind? Why has this happened? What can I do to help myself?

Any advice would be appreciated very much.

Thank You.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:26 am

User avatar Hello,The clinical picture is that of seborrheic dermatitis a nonSTD and is akin to a form of dandruff.This occurs in areas where hair and sebaceous glands are aplenty .An organism called P.Ovale grows here and is said to be responsible.Presents with papules,scaling and itching in areas like pubic,groin,axilla and scalp.This could be mistaken for fungus and Psoriasis.Treatment is by using ketoconazole shampoos,and hydrocortione creme whih may be prescribed by your doctor after confirmation of diagnosis.Best wishes.

|