Forum Name: AIDS

Question: HIV TESTing with rapid tests. is this accurate. please answer m

theshark64 - Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:54 pm

dear drs or anyone with a proffessional expertise in hiv tests

i am a lebanese male living in nigeria i had sex with a sex worker from 5 months ago it was protected sex until my condom slip and i am affraid of hiv i don't even recal if there was any penetration after the condom slip but the fear is always there.
so after my possible exposure i went to a pharmacy near by and i asked about a an hiv test they gave me sd bioline hiv 1/2 3.0 poct. i tested my self on the 5,6,7,8,12,13,14.5,17,17.5 after exposure and all my test was negatif it is an easy test i pick my finger and i place the blood and i wait for 20 min and it will show me if i am negatif or not but i was still affraid becoz i was searching the net and i saw that some of the test can show you false negatif this test is not fda approved but it is evalutaed by USAID, WHO, UNICEF, and i still wasnt conviced i went to a lebanese doctor and he did the test for me on two kits with acon hiv 1/2/0 he says that this test is very accurate and the two test were negatif so after 18 weeks i tested with this doc and it was negatif also..and becoz of fear i searched again on net and i didn't see anything concerning this acon test if it is accurate or not, all i see that this test is made by an american company in u.s.a. and the manufacture is in china it registered by KFDA, and the acon company has a number in fda in usa but not this product
i am so confused about my status all my test were negatif if u count u will see that i tested 7 times after 3 months and all was negatif result. but i need a proffessional help from some one who can relief my anxiety...
am i negatif from hiv??? do i need to make other tests??do i beleive my doctor he is specialist in tropical diseases and std and hiv he is living in england and nigeria i beleive he has big experience but i like to have a second opinion and i will be more than glad thank you so much
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:41 pm

User avatar Hello,Confirmatory tests are advised on those who test positive on the rapid HIV tests.You have to trust your doctor who will give you pre and post counselling and that you have to trust.These kits which are used in this kind of a setup as recommended are fairly accurate and you need not worry or do multiple testing.If there would have been any doubt,or florid symptoms the doctor would have used confirmatory tests.So it is trust and not test on your own..Do not worry your self but seek your doctors help if you have any doubt or unprotected sex after this episode has occured.Best wishes.

|