Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Cause of Small White Bumps on Lips - Possibly Oral HPV?

helpneedednow - Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:45 pm

I was recently tested for STDs due to a questionable past partner or two. The last one was 3 weeks ago. HIV was negative. HSV1 anti-bodies were present but my doctor and I had suspected that already and I believe I've had that for years. 1 genital wart or what my doctor believes to be a wart was detected on the shaft of my penis. I really hadn't noticed it before or atleast for very long. It was low near the sack and could have been there for a while. I have had oral sex performed on me and then kissed the woman afterwards. I keep reading where Oral HPV transmission is possible this way. However, I can't seem to find enough details to know if what I have below was transferred to my mouth or, if I possibly received a new strain. I now have small white painless bumps appearing on my top lip. Based on the photos I have seen, this does not resemble Fordyce condition. And, the few photos of Oral HPV I was able to find look similar. How long does it take for Oral HPV warts to appear. And, I assume they are not filled with liquid, or hurt and can be just white correct? If what I have is confirmed in 2 weeks by the dermatologist, how long will it take for these to go away or will they? And, if they aren't warts, what else can it possibly be? Is a fungus a possibilty or not? I have a total of 8 bumps. 4-5 of them are clustered together. But tiny and not too noticeable as of yet. I saw only 2 a week a go and now I see more. I'm a smoker and now am worried about the link to Oral Cancer and HPV if that is what I have. What home treatments would you recommend while I wait for my appointment. I can't get in any sooner. Thanks, extremely concerned and worried.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:53 pm

User avatar Hello,The clinical picture is very much in favour of fordycee spots.These are normal but enlarged glands and do not cause any symptoms.It has nothing to do with HSV1.These appear mainly on the upper lip mucosa,small pinpointed papules,slightly yellow in color.HPV localizing to oral mucosa is rare.The wart on the sac is more likely to be a plane wart rather than condyloma of sexual origin.The oral mucosa is not a preffered site for HPV though there are isolated cases reported.Your doctor can spot fordycee spots on clinical examination.While it is nothing of concern may not disappear easily.Bestwishes.

|