News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: AIDS

Question: Infected By Careless Nurse With Flu Shot?

Lance - Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:59 am

I just got my flu shot at work Tuesday but after receiving the shot I declined a bandaid from the nurse and she then looked at the entry point and I think she then SWIPED IT WITH HER FINGER! She then picked up a cotton swab and applied it and let me take it. I got to the restroom about a minute later where I washed of the entry point with water and then realized I had hand sanitizer and applied that as well. I know I am probably overreacting but the next day I started having cold symptoms and I guess it freaked me out thinking my immune system might suddenly be 'weaker' since I rarely get colds. I'm sorry, I know I'm probably being silly but I guess I am petrified of that thought of getting something like HIV and that I will infect my wife who is breastfeeding our son.
 Lance - Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:09 am

I should add part of my worries is this nurse had done several shots before me with people on my floor at work-many of which I know fall into the 'high-risk' group for HIV.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:47 am

User avatar Hello, you can not transmit HIV by touch.Even a neede prick needs a column of blood to transmit and casual touch or skin to skin contact even with a punctured skin will not spread the infection even assuming that the nurse has the infection.It is fear and anxiety that make you feel that way.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here