News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: HSV antibodies?

stretch4evr - Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:57 am

My girlfriend recently tested positive for HSV antibodies. However she has never had a coldsoar or any other outbreak in her entire life. What does it mean to test positive for HSV antibodies? Does this mean she has HSV? Do I run the risk of contracting HSV myself?
Thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:58 am

User avatar Hello,It does not need a person cold sores to develop antibodies to the herpes virus.Most are asymptomatic, be it type1 or type2.However it does not correlate always to active infection.That only means the person was exposed to the virus sometime.Generally recurrent blister formation and demonstration from the vesicles would be consistent with disease.Since in a population the positive reaction is high becomes a poor indicator of herpes simlex.Ok?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here