News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Rabies From Saliva?

ConfusedinCali - Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:30 pm

Hi there,

Can someone get rabies from the saliva of an infected animal? Not a bite from one, just the saliva.

Last night a raccoon was eating an apple. I scared the raccoon away, then picked up the apple and tossed it aside. Only as a second thought did I wipe my hands off, but they were still a little wet.

I then proceeded to eat a sandwich, I think it is likely that whatever was on my hands (like the saliva) made it on the sandwich and then into my mouth and stomach.

I have no idea if the raccoon was infected or not.

Stupid move I know, but should I be worried about this?

Thanx for the help,

ConfusedInCali
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:25 am

User avatar Hi ConfusedinCali,
The transmission of rabies typically occurs from the bite and saliva of an infected animal. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention "Non-bite exposures to rabies are very rare. Scratches, abrasions, open wounds, or mucous membranes contaminated with saliva or other potentially infectious material (such as brain tissue) from a rabid animal constitute non-bite exposures. Occasionally reports of non-bite exposure are such that postexposure prophylaxis is given.
Inhalation of aerosolized rabies virus is also a potential non-bite route of exposure, but other than laboratory workers, most people are unlikely to encounter an aerosol of rabies virus.Other contact, such as petting a rabid animal or contact with the blood, urine or feces (e.g., guano) of a rabid animal, does not constitute an exposure and is not an indication for prophylaxis"[1].
Since you really do not know whether the animal was infected, signs and symptoms of an infection may include malaise, fever, and neurological symptoms since the virus targets the central nervous system. I would encourage you to notifiy your primary care provider and inform him or her of the incident. Best wishes!
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

Reference:
1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/qanda/general.html#h2. Accessed October 25, 2009.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here