Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Chlamydia and Clindamycin HCL

ques123 - Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:10 am

I had unprotected sex twice in July with one partner and numerous times again in Sept/Oct with a different partner. I tested positive for chlamydia on Oct 6th. During the month of August I was put on Clindamycin HCL 150 MG Capsule (2 capsules every 6 hours for 7 days) after having all my wisdom teeth extracted.

Is it possible the Clindamycin was a strong enough dose to have treated the chlamydia in Aug and I actually contracted the chlamydia sometime in Sept?

Thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:54 am

User avatar Hello,There are two possiblities.Relapse and reinfection.Relapse is when the organism is partially treated and recurs.The other is you got treated and got back either from the same partner who did not receive treatment with you,or a new partner with infection.Many a times single person getting treated is not adequate for cure.The best option is for you and the infected partners get treated simultaneously to prevent the chain of infection.Clindamycin has been used in treatment of chlamydia not as first line treatment, and ideally treated with azithromycin.Do consult your doctor for further treatment to avoid complications like pelvic inflammatory disease.Best wishes.
 pens4937 - Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:10 am

I have a similar question. I had oral sex and then shortly after became sick, I was prescribed the z-pack and completed my prescribed medication, then a month later I had unprotected sex with a new partner. I have since refrained, and will continue to practice safer methods. My test came back positive for Chlamydia. If I had the infection from the first partner would the z-pack have treated it before I had sex with the new partner?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:22 am

User avatar Hello,The z pack would give full recovery in 95% patients.But then you could get reinfected by a new partner or untreated partner despite using condoms which offord the best protection.Best wishes.
 Lovingmom19 - Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi, i was diagnosed with chlamydia. I took antibiotics and didnt have sex afterwords. I masterbated only. I found out i got reinfected the dr said for the follow up check. How is that possible without sex??

|