Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: HSV&HPV related? and how long to cure genital warts?

virtual_patient - Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:46 am

Dear Doctors,

Hi Doc, around 2 months ago, I was diagnosed that I got herpes (HSV2). I had sex with my bf around 4 months ago. There were some lesions appeared but then the doctor gave me acyclovir and some cream to remove them. Well it worked well. Me and my bf also took a blood test, and the result for both of us is NEGATIVE. As I know, the blood test of 1st or 2nd week from the first outbreak is not accurate and the best timing for another blood test is around 3-4 months after the first out break.
Question #1. Is it true that the blood test result is not accurate??
But as my bf's blood test result is negative,
#2. does it still mean that I'm the only one who infected with HSV2?
#3. Should I take another test?

I'm now really frustrated, coz 1 month ago, I found genital warts (condylomata acuminata) so I went to see the doctor back. Then I tried to remember, and found out that before the place where the warts came up, there was like a cut bcoz of the sexual activity. One question from here : #4. is it possible that my bf gave it to me? since I never seen any warts appear on his genital. I heard about the flat warts or something that make a discolor on the genital. But really, I can't find any of them.

So, the doc said that I'm infected by HPV virus. I did a lot of research on the internet, that the type of this HPV won't cause cervical cancer, but #5. is it still possible that I might be infected with another type of HPV virus that will cause cervical cancer? And to be honest, the warts make me feel so depressed, the doc already put like a solution to burn them off.. 1st time visit, some of them were removed, and 2nd time visit the doc gave me the solution again, but there are still some warts left now, and the old warts that already been removed start to re-appear :( The question are:
#6. How long usually the genital warts disappear?
#7. Will the warts re-appear after some years?
#8. What is the best way to prevent genital warts besides avoiding sexual contact?
#9. Will it harms my baby if i planned to get pregnant someday?

I'm sorry there are a lot of questions from me. Hope the questions are clear enough and thanks in advance for your answer.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:52 am

User avatar Hello,Blood tests for HSV2 are not accurate and best done on the blister fluid.A person still can transmit the virus with out a blister even if he or she remains asymptomatic.PCR reaction tests could idenify the disease with certanity.False positive tests are known and a repeat test may be warranted.Then about HPV- it can again get transmitted by an individual who may apparently not suffering from a wart.There are many types of HPV virus Those which cause the warts are not involved with cervical cancer but then it is best to get vaccinated against these types with your doctors consultation.PAP smears are recommended time to time just to make sure.The warts may disappear after treatment but relapses are common.Condoms are ok but do not guarantee much protection.Best to avoid multiple partners in prevention and also to avoid infected with other types of HPV.There is very little chances of transmission during pregnancy to the child.Best wishes.

|