Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: New girlfriend diagnosed with HPV

JournalDan - Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:00 am

My name is Dan I am a 22 year old male. I have only had a few sexual partners in my life, and in each case we had only protected intercourse, however over my life I had received unprotected oral sex from more people. I have never been diagnosed with an STD of any kind, nor have I ever had any problems or symptoms to lead me to believe I was infected with any STD.

I recently started dating a woman, we've been dating for about 6 weeks. About 2 weeks ago she had an abnormal pap and was diagnosed with HPV. We have not had intercourse but have had oral sex on several occasions. Her doctor was not very informative about how we should proceed in our relationship in order to keep me safe and infection free.

I have done many hours of research, first of all to find out how it would effect my girlfriend (I was worried about her health) and then how I could keep myself safe and infection free and what it might mean if I was infected. However the information seems confusing, I don't know what we can do. To be more specific what I would like to know is what kind of sexual acts can we perform, and what are the chances either of us was infected orally with hpv from the several times we have had oral sex?

I am extremely confused and upset about this and despite being a college graduate and doing hours of research I feel no better about the situation. I feel like its not fair that she has this, she is a nice girl who is not overly sexually promiscuous and she even had the HPV prevention shots. I deeply care about her and its possible that we may be together a long time but that is unsure and I don't want to infect any future women I may be with. What can I do?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:13 am

User avatar Hello,Protected sexual intercourse would not be enough to prevent transmission of HPV.It is possible you had aquired it with out knowing and never developed a viral wart.The transmission however by oral sex is not common and less likely,though not impossible.The HPV shots would only cover certain types associated with cervical cancers.The best for you to get investigated for HPV and other STDs and use dental dams,or latex barrier to protect against the unlikely transmission by oral sex.

|