News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: AIDS

Question: HIV from Kissing When Had a Mouth Boil?

mjala - Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:54 pm

Four or five months ago, while drinking out at a club I kissed someone who I just recently found out is HIV positive. The kissing was closed mouth kissing and I believe we may have done minimal open mouth kissing as well, but it didn't involve deep french kissing.

My concern is that I had a gum boil from a root canal that was healing at the time so I don't know if I need to be tested because of this or what I should do. I don't know if this caused a significant risk or not. Kissing was the extent of the activity, other than some touching and grabbing of the genital area with our hands.

Would the fact that I had a gum boil put me at significant risk? I apologize if this seems silly, but it has been in the back of my mind and I'm looking for advice.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:50 am

User avatar Hello,The risk of transmission by closed method,ie social kissing is not a risk, but open mouth kissing is not recommended in known cases of HIV.Saliva contains very little concentration of the virus.The risk of transmission even with open mouth kissing is very low.But it is comparitively riskier, if there are open cuts or ulceration and or it is a prolonged open mouth kissing.If you are worried it is best to get a test done 3 months after a possible exposure, to be cetain of ones HIV status.If you are likely to take a test make sure that pretest and post test counselling are available.But in your case this is a very low risk situation.Do consult your physician just to make sure.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here