Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Yeast Infections when you have herpes?

pussnboots_01 - Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:36 pm

Hi, I was diagnosed with herpes a few years ago and have had maybe 2 or 3 outbreaks since my initial one. Recently I have been having symptons that are similar to those I got during an outbreak but they are not the same. I have a slightly sore and swollen vulva that itches like crazy, which is normal for my outbreaks. However, I now have a yellowy discharge that has a somewhat thick cottage cheese texture to it but little smell. It is also not coming out much, but clinging to the inner walls. I am wondering if common infections like yeast are affected by the presence of an std or if this is something completely different than both.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:14 pm

User avatar Hello,Monilial vaginitis is an independant infection and herpes does not predispose to it.It is classified as a non STD and may be related to the change in the normal flora of the vagina.Antibiotica can destroy some organisms and predispose to moniliasis.This is also more common in diabetics.In contrast with bacterial vaginosis it does not smell bad and has cotton cheese discharge which is rather stuck to the vaginal walls.This can cause burning especially after sexual intercourse.Responds to antifungal treatments it is nothing to worry about.Do get examined to confirm the diagnosis,which is very simple to demostrate the yeast in the discharge.Best wishes.

|