Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: H1N1 vaccine and children with chronic respiratory problems

Blade - Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:55 pm

My son is 12 and my daughter is 7. Both have had frequent respiratory infections since they were babies. We have an nebulizer/abuterol that we use at least 3 times a year.My daughter was sick last week, ( headache,sneezing,coughing,fever) The nurse practitioner we saw prescribed Tamiflu and nebulizer/albuterol but would not test for h1n1 virus,only said that she met the criteria.My son brought a consent to recieve the h1n1 vaccine from school. My question is whether it is safe for them to have the vaccine and if so which one?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:45 am

User avatar Hi Blade,
The difference between the nasal spray form of the H1N1 vaccination and the injection form is the nasal spray vaccine is made with a weakened form of the virus while the injection form is an inactivated virus. The recommendations from Anthony Fiore, MD, the medical epidemiologist for the influenza division of the CDC is the nasal spray can be given to the healthy population ages 2 to 49 who are not pregnant, otherwise the injection form of the vaccine is recommended. So essentially people who have underlying health conditions such as asthma, heart disease, kidney disease, or any condition that compromises the immune system should not take the nasal spray form. You may also want to discuss this with your primary care provider. I hope this information is somewhat helpful. Best wishes!

|