Forum Name: AIDS

Question: HIV symptoms after 20 weeks of possible exposure?

forwhatevo - Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:07 am

I had an encounter, unprotected one night stand (pulled out though), with a girl on June 7th, 2009. I had asked if she had been tested and she said she was 2 months prior which was obviously negative. I just moved to Colorado from Arizona 2 weeks ago and now I'm sick with flu like symptoms and possible swollen lymphnodes in my neck, located along the eustatian tube just behind my lower jaw. I had a fever of 101.3 at its highest a few days ago with chest congestion and now no fever at all still with minor chest congestion and now stuffy sinuses and a slight night sweat from my neck when I sleep. The area where the lymphnodes feel swollen, I cant say for sure that they are since I don't feel around there much although it is a little sensitive, but the only time I can feel them is if I cock my back, then they pop out slighlty enough for me to feel them. Like I said, not sure if they're actually swollen or if theyre supposed to pop out when you can feel them if you do that, otherwise they're not bulging out of my neck like I see in pictures. I also understand that climate changes and elevation changes can make a person sick too, but my main question is is it likely to develop the 'Flu like symptoms' of hiv 20 weeks after exposure or is it typically within the first 2 - 12 weeks? I havent been tested yet because I'm unsure how Im going to handle a positive test result so Im still trying to prepare myself for the worst. I would just like to walk in to the testing room knowing my odds so Im not a wreck while in the middle of being tested. So is it likely that the 'flu like symptoms' im having now are the symptoms of early hiv infection?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:40 pm

User avatar Hello,It does not need to present with a acute retroviral syndrome for HIV seroconversion.This is nonspecific and may overlap conditions like infectious mononucleosis.Like what you mentioned about typical duration of ARS it could be 2 to 6weeks in most and seroconversion occurs with in 6months.In a situation when a person has already seroconverted, a viral infection like mononucleosis could be mistaken as a ARS presenting late.As of now the best course is to discuss with your physician and undergo the test for antibodies to HIV to know your HIV status and make sure you get pre and post test counselling.For all that you know it is just a minor viral infection and nothing else.Best wishes.

|