Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: HPV, Immune System and Transmition

azman - Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:40 pm

I'm a 31 year old male. I have had a suspicious intercourse with a woman whom i did not know very well. Because i'm an idiot i didnt get protected so i decided to have tested for common STDs. It turned out that i'm HPV positive by DNA PCR test. I requested type identifying test as well but i don't have the result yet. No warts on my genital area showed up yet.
I'm too much worried about to spread this virus to other people. I've done tons of searching on the internet and talked to a doctor and the biologist who did the PCR test but i am not still clear with the followings:

1) How much is it possible to transmit the virus with other than genital contact if i don't ever have the warts?
2) How much is it possible to transmit the virus via genital contact if i don't ever have the warts?
3) If my immune systems overcomes the infection, will i still be a carier at all times? Meaning is it possible to pass it on to the other people while i have the virus in my cells dormant but not active? Assuming either there has never been warts or existing ones has been treated.

I'll be thankful if you can answer all of my questions.

Regards
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:54 am

User avatar Hello,Seroreactivity to HPV could indicate active disease or an earlier exposure to any type of the virus earlier but generally indicative of infection is the detection of HPV DNA.Usual method of transmission is sexual,not necessarily only vaginal,and it can get transmitted by non penetrative sexual activity,which is an uncommon mode of transmission.It is believed to be communicable most during active disease,and persisting infection.Since we can not culture the organism communicablity becomes a difficult question to answer.Also getting one type of virus does not protect you from aquiring other types either.Condoms do reduce transmission but do not totally prevent.Refraining any genital contact with partner is the only sure way to protect against transmission of genital HPV infection.Mucosal HPV infections can be trasmitted despite not showing clinical disease, by oral,genital,nasal and other mucosa.However most genial HPV infections with out clinical disease are transient and have no clinical consequence yet show a positive test.In case of genital warts actual infectivity after treatment is unknown.There is a gradual improvement in immunity and there is a virus DNA clearance after a period of time ,the frequency of it being unclear.Hope this answers some of your questions.Do get clarified on all these issues from your physician.Best wishes.

|