News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: enlarged lymph nodes due to hiv?

rj008 - Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:27 pm

I have had enlarged lymph nodes in my groin and neck for about two months now. I have a lymph nodes that are easily felt under my jaw one on eachside and three or four on both sides of my neck towards the lower portion of the neck closer to my traps. I can also feel one on each side right by my collar bone. I also have enlarged lymph nodes in my groin 3 on both sides. Im not quite sure about my armpits if i push/digin far enough with m hands i am able to feel something in my armpits, but they are not easily felt like the ones in neck and groin. My concern is if they are due to hiv. My last sexual encounter was 4 months ago, unprotected vaginal sex with a woman. I have tested for hiv numerous times in these 4 months. I tested week 4,6,8,9,11,12,13,16,17 all negative. My groin lymph nodes came on around week 6/7 i had started using aldara around that time for my genital warts, sometimes i left the aldara on for too long. At the time i was using aldara the warts were frozen off so there were some open wounds. My neck lymphnodes came on around week 9/10. i did have a wart on my lip that was frozen off. About week 9 i noticed a wart growing on my tonsil it looked just like what was on my lip. It grew farily large but has since shrunk alittle. Im not sure if that is what could be causing my lymph nodes. Are my lymph nodes worriesome for HIV? Should i keep testing eventhough ive tested out of te 3 month window period?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:00 am

User avatar Hello,Most people infected with HIV seroconvert in about 25 days and 97 percent by 3 months.Very rare cases by 6 month period.In your case the lymphadenopathy is most likely to other causes like infectious mononucleosis or other infections.You can get investigated along these lines and get the6 months test just to be sure.You can discuss with your healthcare provider and get over your worries.If you have not had doubtful exposure or blood transfusions or shared needles after the last known exposure you need not worry.If these episodes have occured may require to widen the window period.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here