Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Pus/Larvae on Scalp--Parasite?

arivs09 - Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:15 pm

I had a bump on the crown of my head that felt like it was full of something liquidy. I squeezed it one day and all this yellowish pus came out. The bump was bald of hair with a small hole in the center that the pus came out of. Two or so days later, the bump was significantly smaller. I picked at where the bump had been and picked off what felt like a scab, but was really a larvae-looking thing. I screamed and flushed it down the sink before I got a good look at it, so I'm not 100% sure it was larva--but it was white and I swear it moved. I checked my head and the area where the bump was was still bald with the hole in the center. Is there a chance I have some kind of parasite? Will my hair grow back? Do I need to see a doctor? My cat had fleas a while ago...could this be a contributing factor? What in the world is wrong with me???
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:15 pm

User avatar Hello,From descriptions given it could be myiasis called furuncular myisis caused by larvae of common fly.These cause single to multiple papules which discharge pus,and on deep pressure the larva comes out.These can be on ulcers or wounds too.Scalp is one of the sites,other areas include arms and legs.Treatment is by removal with a forceps.In you case it could be a sebaceous cyst with thick keratin mistaken as larva.Dogetthe wound dressed by your doctor.A sebaceous cyst could recur and has to be removed fully.Best wishes.

|