Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Is it possible to have untreatable chlamydia?

mbt6891 - Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:55 pm

I had chlamydia about 3 years ago and was successfully treated for it, but in the past 3 months I have been reinfected. I was treated with 4 pills at once, I forget the name of the drug. I thought I was all clear because I didn't feel any symptoms, but when my swabs came back I still tested positive for chlamydia. I was then prescribed a week long treatment of doxycycline, 2 pills a day. I still feel as though I have chlamydia because of a slight burning feeling. I'm really afraid that I'm going to have chlamydia forever. I have a history of bladder infections and have taken many antibiotic treatments for it and I'm afraid that maybe my body has become immune to them. Is it possible that I wont ever be able to get rid of this chlamydia?
 mbt6891 - Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:52 pm

I should also note that I have not had sex since I found out I had chlamydia 3 months ago. So I know I am not being reinfected, it's just not going away.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:38 am

User avatar Hello,Recurrences after chlamydia could be a problem.Reevaluation after 3 to 6 weeks may be required.Reinfection is another, when the partner is not treated,or from a new partner.Best to abstain from sex till both partner treatment is completed.Use of condoms do reduce transmission.Treatment of sexual contacts is necessary.Ok?
 girl-19 - Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:34 am

Can you get Chlamydia just from unprotected sex? Does your partner have to have it for you to get it?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:58 pm

User avatar Hello Girl-19,

To be infected with chlamydia it is necessary for a partner to have the infection that is then spread to the other person. Chlamydial infections do not spontaneously develop as some other infections can. However, it is important to know that most infections occur because the initially infected partner does not know they are infected (as many as 50% of women and 95% of men can be asymptomatic and still be infected, thus still be able to spread the infection).

|