News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: LGSIL questions

saraisonfirexx - Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:50 pm

I was diagnosed with LGSIL from a pap smear from a health clinic. I have had at least 3 other pap smears before this one with normal results. I know LGSIL is caused from HPV and i have an appointment with a gyno to do a colposcopy and biopsy. I recieved the guardasil vaccine 2 years ago.

My questions are:

1. Is LGSIL FOR SURE a wart? or just pre-cancerous cells? ive read both and am so confused.
2. Am i likely to develop warts on the outside genital area, and is my boyfriend likely to develop warts as we have had unprotected sex for over a year so he definitely has the HPV.
3. Are there ever false positives for this condition because like I said this was a routine pap smear at a health clinic and the first abnormal result i've had. i normally get pap smears from my gynocologist.
 Dr.vatsala kamath - Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:28 pm

LGSIL of the cervix is caused by many factors including early initiation of sex, HPV (strains 16 and 18) and Herpes infection, and other sexually transmitted bacterial infections. Pap smear can show false positive results for LGSIL. Many a time, these lesions regress by themselves after treatment of bacterial vaginal infections. However, you may proceed with your gynecologist's advice of colposcopy and biopsy and if nothing worse is detected, you may follow up with Pap smears.
Since you have been vaccinated with Guardacil, this may protect you from strains of HPV virus with which you have not already been exposed.
Genital warts are caused by HPV virus strains 6 and 11 and are relatively innocuous causing condyloma on the cervix, vagina and vulva. We don't know whether these strains of the virus have already infected you and your partner before you received the Guardacil in which case you may still get the warts. Using barrier contraception(condoms) would still be a good idea, in spite of using injection provera since it would protect you from various STDs.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here