News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Could 2nd child have mono with lesser symptoms?

mamaboys321 - Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:28 am

8 wks ago my son (11 y.o) was dx with mono and enlarged spleen. He is still recovering and is seeing an infectious disease pediatrician next week because his recovery is so slow. About 6 wks ago my 2nd son (9 y.o) had a sore throat he described as "on fire". No fever. No swollen glands. This left within 24-48 hours. Now this last week or so the 2nd son complains of leg and joint pain, migraines (no light or noise allowed), abdominal pain (when asked to point to the pain he draws an imaginary circle reaching from the bottom of his rib cage to his bladder), some dizziness, very tired early morning and evening and seemingly normal on/off throughout the day. My 11 y.o. had these same symptoms but after the symptoms of bad throat infection and swollen glands subsided. How likely is it that my 9 y.o. has the same dx?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:56 am

User avatar Hi,
Symptoms of Infectious mononucleosis('mono') are varied and non-specific.I do not know if your second son has any lymphadenopathy,splenomegaly or petechiae.

Splenomegaly, posterior cervical adenopathy, axillary and inguinal adenopathy if present, are extremely useful to suspect a diagnosis of infectious mononucleosis. Without assessing for the presence or absence of these signs, it may not be possible even to hazard a guess about this being 'mono'.

Elevated hepatic aminotransferase levels are observed in about 50% cases.Differential leucocyte count usually reveals presence of >50% lymphocytes with at least 10% atypical lymphocytes.

As you children have been in close contact, there is an increased risk for your second child.So, it may be better to consult a pediatrician to sort this out.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here