Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Should my child be vaccinated for H1N1 after having the flu?

Dianemom - Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:10 pm

I live in an area that has had an abundance of H1N1 infections. My child and I have all the symptoms of the infection. I want to know if there is sufficient evidence that having the vaccine after acquiring the infection will keep us from a re-infection? Aren't we somewhat immunized now that we have had the illness?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:35 pm

If you have the actual illness, you have immunity and therefore would not need a vaccine in addition to that. If there is doubt about whether or not it was H1N1 you could get the vaccine to prevent it. These vaccines are only good for one flu season though so if it recurs in the fall you would need new vaccinations.

|