News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: oral to genital herpes transmission

concerned32 - Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:17 am

A few days ago, I became sexually active with a new partner. During sex, she bit me very hard on the lip. I performed oral sex on her the next day. Except for that my lip was very swollen and I did not notice anything unusual. However, the day after that the swelling went down, except for in one spot. I get cold sores a few times a year, and so was concerned that I had gotten one because my lip had been bitten so hard. A day later I did develop a cold sore. I have read that herpes simplex 1 can infect the genitals as well, and I am very worried that after being bitten I could have infected us both with genital herpes. Unfortunately, I can't find information on how likely this is. Today, I noticed red spots on the inside of my foreskin, but as I have a history of balanitus this is fairly common, and it is difficult to tell if it is a herpes outbreak or if I simply need to step up my hygiene regimen.

Any help understanding the transmission of herpes between the lips and genitals is appreciated, as well as any other information you can provide.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:56 am

User avatar Hello,Injury can precipitate a HSV1 outbreak and it was not surprising you developed a cold sore.The types 1 and 2 generally stick to oral and genital areas respecively but then could get transmitted to other sites.Then it is a milder form out side the territory and recurrences are uncommon,and they lose the capacity or the punch that they have in their sites and remain asymptomatic.Viral shedding is also minimal.So do not worry but do meet your doctor and get over the fear.Ok?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here