Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: oral to genital herpes transmission

concerned32 - Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:17 am

A few days ago, I became sexually active with a new partner. During sex, she bit me very hard on the lip. I performed oral sex on her the next day. Except for that my lip was very swollen and I did not notice anything unusual. However, the day after that the swelling went down, except for in one spot. I get cold sores a few times a year, and so was concerned that I had gotten one because my lip had been bitten so hard. A day later I did develop a cold sore. I have read that herpes simplex 1 can infect the genitals as well, and I am very worried that after being bitten I could have infected us both with genital herpes. Unfortunately, I can't find information on how likely this is. Today, I noticed red spots on the inside of my foreskin, but as I have a history of balanitus this is fairly common, and it is difficult to tell if it is a herpes outbreak or if I simply need to step up my hygiene regimen.

Any help understanding the transmission of herpes between the lips and genitals is appreciated, as well as any other information you can provide.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:56 am

User avatar Hello,Injury can precipitate a HSV1 outbreak and it was not surprising you developed a cold sore.The types 1 and 2 generally stick to oral and genital areas respecively but then could get transmitted to other sites.Then it is a milder form out side the territory and recurrences are uncommon,and they lose the capacity or the punch that they have in their sites and remain asymptomatic.Viral shedding is also minimal.So do not worry but do meet your doctor and get over the fear.Ok?

|