Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Husband has HPV

KellieKelly - Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:44 pm

My husband has active HPV (genital wart kind) and he thinks he contracted it about 8-10 years ago. His infection is still very active and he gets about 6-10 new warts a year. He's tried topical creams and they didn't work. He has several warts (about 30-50 in different clusters) some on his penis, some on his scrotum, some on his grion area and some where his leg meets his grion. My question is, we have been very sexual active in these 8 years not using any protection and I have never contacted this diease. All my pap's come back normal. Is there anyway I might be immune considering I have not contracted it in 8 years? Also, is this type of HPV the kind that can cause cervical cancer? My Ob/Gyn told me that I'm very luckey that I have not contracted it thus far. Is it possible that he doesn't have genital warts and the DR was wrong? There flesh colored and in groups/clusters. Thank you for your time!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:24 pm

User avatar Hello,There are many types of HPV virus and immunity to one automatically does not confer to another.Again,HPV virus causing Anogenital warts of the sexual type is different from the ones causing cervical cancer.The only way to make sure is to get pap smears.Younger age9-26 group can get vaccination.Condoms do afford some protection.The condylomata of the sexual type has an affinity to moist areas like mucus membranes.Do show to a dermatologist and get confirmed.Best wishes.

|