Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: how does antibiotics affect std screening?

titan09 - Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:41 pm

I went to my doctor with some different symptoms he chalked up as a prostate infection although it was not enlarged and proceeded to tell me that since I've been in a monogamous relationship for four years even though we have both had a previous partner it was highly unlikely to be a std. So I took it upon myself to take a chlamydia/ghonorrea test in which I take the specimen of urine and it gets overnighted to lab and tested.it was through a reputable company for the record. My question is my tests came back negative but I was taking cipro for the supposed prostate infection and just thought about it. I know cipro doesn't cure these but would it affect my results? I just want to be sure but hate to spend the money on another test if not necessary,thanks.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:55 am

User avatar Hello,The incubation period for chlamydia is 2to 6 weeks.Since you have a monogamous relationship the only one who could transmit to you is your partner or viceversa.Infact your patner now needs to be sure about the chlamydia status.Many a times in women there may be no symptoms.It is best for her to get ruled out for chlamydia.If she is fine it is most unlikely that you have NGU.If positive, single dose treatment should suffice but both should take it.Partial treatment may mask symptoms.Best wishes.
 titan09 - Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:53 am

But with my test coming back negative what are the chances that the cipro affected my results? Would the test still be accurate? And also would she not be tested regularly during her pap smear?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:54 am

User avatar Hello,The only way to make sure is to get a repeat test.As to whether they do routine chlamydia screening I am not sure because the protocols vary from country to country.Best wishes.

|