News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: what infection causes swollen lypmh nodes on left side body?

unknown13 - Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:20 am

it started about a month ago, when first lymph node appeared near the mumps glad on the left side, then after 15 days other lymph node appeared on the neck (every on left side), after that i went to doctor(surgeon) he said i have nothing to worry, he gave me antibiotics, and i have taken it during 5 days as he said, but nothing changed,after that i have made a biopsy and the result was that it wasn't cancer,there was only lyphocytes,macrophages on the material, so doctor said that it was infection, and he gave me other antibiotics,(it's 10 days course,"claforan"mixed with my blood into the mussle)i've almost finished this course but there is no result,...more 5 days ago i have noticed new lymp nodes on my neck and under my ear too (it's 3 now),
today i have noticed lymp nodes in my groin,(left side of course)...(i have done blood analys and it was normal)i have started worrying cause i don't know what it is and think my doctor doesn't know too, what should it be???please say any possible idea..
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:29 pm

User avatar Hi,
To the best of my knowledge, there is no condition which exclusively affects one side of the body.

I am glad that the lymph node biopsy came back 'benign'.

However, as you seem to be developing recurrent lymph nodal enlargement, it is better that you keep in touch with your doctor and a repeat biopsy may be indicated if this situation should continue.
Good luck!
 unknown13 - Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:17 am

thanks for reply, but i wonder if there is any infection that can make lymph node swollen on the left side only,
i was searching about this problem in internet and there was written that infection
called 'Bartonella" can cause this;
i have little dog(puddle)in house;
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:21 am

User avatar Hi,
Thank you for that information.....But, you might have misunderstood what is meant by 'ipsilateral' lymphadenopathy.It only means that the lymphadenoathy develops on the same side as the pustule/papule that usually develops after a contact with the animal.
It does affect usually one group of lymph nodes... cervical or axillary or inguinal.It does not mean however, that lymph nodes in one half of the body will be involved.

Skin infection in any part of the body (apart from the midline of the body and the zone immediatly on either side of it) will tend to cause 'ipsilateral' regional lymphadenoathy.
Infections in the midline of the body and the zone immediatly on either side of it would tend to produce bilateral lymphadenopathy.

I think it is only a minor misunderstanding.

I must thank you for the very intersting post of yours. Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here