Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Hantavirus

DoubleL - Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:47 am

I live in the 4Corners area (US), where Hantavirus is known to be found. As the weather is getting colder, we are finding evidence of mice in our garage & unfortunately, in our home.
This morning I found mouse droppings in the worst place of all, the silverware drawer. I immediately removed everything, scrubbed it all with dish soap by hand, then washed them in the dishwasher. My concern is, I fed my 2 babies (11 months & 3 yrs) breakfast off utensils from that drawer & also ate breakfast myself BEFORE I discovered the mouse poop. I'm in tears even thinking about the fact that my babies ate off utensils a mouse may have touched. I am FREAKING OUT that we may have been exposed to Hantavirus.
What are the chances of being exposed to it from a "house mouse"? Is there any way to be tested or anything right away? Please help.
Thank you
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:29 am

User avatar Hello,Hanta virus is not spread by food or water but by breathing the dust particles in fected by the virus.Deer mice is the probable carrier.This infection causes this serious HPS, hantavirus pulmonary syndrome.Method of spread is inhalational.The youngest reported is 10 years in usa indicating absolute rarity in children.So there may be nothing to worry.Do contact your heath provider for information relating to your local heath settings.Best wishes.

|