News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Will DEC and albendazole clear intestinal parasites?

Viajera1 - Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:45 am

I have been traveling a lot, and I would be very surprised if I hadn't been exposed to any parasites along the way. In fact, just in the last two years I have had both typhoid fever and dengue fever, so I am obviously at risk for a slew other infections too.
Where I am now, they give everyone DEC and albendazole once a year to control filariasis, and I plan to take it. So I guess my question really is, should I bother getting an ova and parasite exam when I go home? I would think the albendazole would treat other helminths (although I have no clue whether the dosages are appropriate for that). And I have no GI symptoms. Is it even worth treating parasite infestations if they are asymptomatic?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:51 am

User avatar Hello,Filariasis is a problem affecting many people in India,africa ans south asia and pacific.The mosquito breeding and microfilaria in blood ultimately lead to elephantiasis.WHO has taken this up on a war footing in endemic areas and a single dose of albendazole and DEC administered together every year has been found to lower the parasitic load on the community.
The other parasites susceptible would include round worms and hook worms.The dose required in tapeworm is higher and giardiasis and amoebiasis need different modalities.
It is best to get a stool examination and get treated for these infestations and infections.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here