Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Can Hepetitus Antibody person spread disease

jive - Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:16 pm

Can a person that has tested positive for Hepatitis Antibodies but not Hepatitis still spread the disease to some one else?

Thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:45 am

User avatar Hello,90 to 95% who have hepatitisB will be able clear the infection in 6 months but a few would have chronic infection .Some of these may never suffer the disease but transmit the infection and are known as carriers.This disease is due to blood contact or by having sexual intercourse.Sharing of razors or even toothbrush of the infected or carriers can lead to infection.Condoms are to be used unless the partner has received hepatitisB vaccine.HepatitsB surface antigen indicates disease or carrier status.HepatitisB surface antibody indicates immunization,or who have cleared the disease,and core antibody in those who had the disease in the past and is not indicative of carrier status if the surface antigen is negative.Best wishes.
 LennyJ - Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:31 am

If I have had the Hep B virus but now have had it cleared from my system and have built up the antibodies, can i infect someone through sexual contact?

Thank you.
 tpatzo - Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:06 am

If you completly clear it from your system no you cant infect no one. There are carriers of the hep b & still are able to spread it to. So its very important to make sure your not a carrier. Carriers are healthy but still able to spread it!Get to your dr & make sure your not a carrier

LennyJ wrote:If I have had the Hep B virus but now have had it cleared from my system and have built up the antibodies, can i infect someone through sexual contact?

Thank you.

Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:06 pm

User avatar Hello,Detection of HBV infection is done by detection of surface antigen HBsAg and HBeAg as an indicator of relative infectivity.Testing for IgM of anti-HBc would give clue to the acuteness and the IgG anti-HBc for chronicity.Absence of HBsAG and HBeAg with anti-HBs with or with out anti-HBe would mean recovery.Only anti-HBs as a serologic marker would indicate recovery,or immunization due to vaccine.
As to whether a person is infective or not would depend on these tests.

|