Forum Name: AIDS

Question: Kissing with Canker Sore HIV?

mbi270285 - Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:44 pm

Hello, back in early September I was open mouth kissing a girl. At the time I had a canker sore, but it was not bleeding. Afterwords, I had learned that she had been raped about a month prior. I am extremely concerned about contracting HIV, and she refuses to get tested. Do I need to worry, or am I just OCDing? Also, how long after possible infection does one need to wait to get a good accurate test? Thanks
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:57 am

User avatar Hello,The risk of transmission by closed method,ie social kissing is not a risk, but open mouth kissing is not recommended in known cases of HIV.Saliva contains very little concentration of the virus.The risk of transmission even with open mouth kissing is very low.But it is comparitively riskier, if there are open cuts or ulceration and or it is a prolonged open mouth kissing..If you are likely to take a test make sure that pretest and post test counselling are available.But in your case this is a very low risk situation.Best is to wait for 6 weeks and then get an elisa,you get 99% accuracy and 3 months near 100%, ie window period.Best wishes.
 mbi270285 - Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:10 pm

Thank you so much for you advice. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:11 pm

User avatar Thank you and wish you the same.Cheers.

|