News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Syphilis or just a pimple

husk303 - Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:56 pm

i am sixteen and i have just recently become sexually active. my concern is that about a week after i had intercourse i now have a bump in the middle of the shaft of my penis at first i though it was a pimple because i have acne problems so i popped it and it started to heal the bump is hard it is almost healed its been about 5 days since i poped it and its half the size it was to begin with it doesnt hurt. for about three days whenever i squeezed it puss would come out ive done some research and i think that it might be syphillis theres only one bump what do you think htis could be?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:22 pm

User avatar Hello,Your post does not mention whether you had protected sex or not.Syphilis has a longer incubation period of about 3 weeks but more likely to rule out would be chancroid which has an incubation period of 3to7 days.This is caused by a gram-ve bacillus can produce multiple or single ulcer generally painful.Lymphnode swelling at the groin could occur.Herpes simplex could too present like this and need to be ruled out.There is what is known as syndromic approach in which treatment is given generally as a single dose with clinical findings only.It is best to get to your health care provider to clear your doubts to a condition for all that you know could well be an ordinary folliculitis.Yet you should get tests done for STDs to be sure.Best wishes.
 hazuki - Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:16 pm

I have a further question on that subject. You said about the incubation days but what do you do if it is one of those?
 husk303 - Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:13 pm

it was protected and its been almost two weeks now and its almost gone
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:08 pm

User avatar Hello,In doubt it is best to get tested,and unlikely to be STD.But then primary syphilis ulcer does dissappear with out treatment also and that is no indication of cure.Incubation period you do not see the manifestation of the disease.Sophisticated tests do help here in diagnosis.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here