Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: False Negative Flu Test?

KBiz - Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:01 pm

Hello, I'm a college student (age 19). I woke up sick this morning with flu-like symptoms chills, body aches, fever, congestion, and I've been sluggish all day. I went in for a flu test, but it returned a negative result. The thing is, and I didn't tell the doctor this, I've illegally taken Vyvanse (a few times in the past few weeks and more recently yesterday) and I heard that can affect test results. I was wondering what specific tests and if the flu test was one of them. Is it possible the test gave me a false negative because of the Vyvanse? Thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:24 am

User avatar Hello,Amphetamines do cause significat elevation in plasma steroid levels and may interfere with the lab test.But then as to whether it could interfere with flu tests is not mentioned.
However false negative tests to Rapid diagnostic tests to influenza could be maximum during the height of influenza season.When the disease prevelence is low,the false negatives are likely to be true.