News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Question on HSV2 blood test

regg50 - Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:31 pm

This is very embarrasing. Last weekend I had open sex with a very "shady" individual around 3:00 AM on Saturday night. I freaked out and immediately went to my doctor around 12 noon Monday (35 hours after sex). The doctor said its too early to tell but I went ahead and got tested.
My test results came back and I tested positive for HSV1 (mouth herpes). Then he said i tested "barely" positive for HSV2 (scored 128 but positive starts at 120) and doesnt know if i am really positive or not. And he couldnt tell me if it was too quick to tell if it came from 2 days before.
I have 2 questions:
1. Could this have showed up that quick after the weekend usafe sex or was it before?
2. is the 128 score (from the blood test confirm im positive or not?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:54 am

User avatar Hello,False negative tests can happen if you get tested too early and you may need to get tested again for confirmation, in a few weeks to 3 months.Again antibody tests can not tell whether the infection was aquired earlier or with the present episode.Only testing the sore by viral culture can confirm an active infection.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here