Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Risk of HIV transmission through vaginal fluid to mouth

Mick2 - Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:04 pm

I suffer from intense anxiety which I keep a secret from friends. I am a chronic worrier and I over analysis every detail in my life, so this is why I post this question about the risk of HIV transmission during sex I had recently.

Frank details right to the point:

Had a one night stand with a woman I know nothing about last weekend.

Wore protection, it stay'd intact.

During sex, she pulled me out and gave me a brief blowjob with the condom still on.

We went back to having sex.

There was heavy kissing during sex following the blowjob. This happened about three times.

After she left, I cleaned up the condom and wrapper. I filled the condom with water in the tap before disposing of to make sure there were no holes. There wasn't, it stay'd perfectly intact. Tested it twice, then chucked it in the trash.

My question is: I've done some reading today about HIV transmission with oral sex, although I did not perform oral sex on her, can anyone offer information on how possible it is for vagina fluid from the condom, to her mouth, then directly to mine to transmit HIV or another STI. I guess anything is possible, and thats why my anxiety is so terrible.

One way or another, I'm going to get checked in a couple months, as I've already done twice before in the past couple years.

Please reply.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:41 am

User avatar Hello,Though it is not high risk still oral sex does carry risk of transmission especially if there are oral ulcers or cuts in the oral cavity.Menstrual blood contains high viral load too.Physical barriers like condoms or dams do reduce risk but are not infallible.Also other infections like herpes simplex,HPV also can get transmitted.So it is best to get tested now and after the window period though it is unlikely, since you have taken adequate precautions and also it is possible that her HIV status is negative.Do consult your health provider for more details.Best wishes.
 Mick2 - Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:03 am

Thank you for your quick reply,

I went to see my family doctor today because I have swollen tonsils, pain when swallowing, and sweating at night. This started only 36 hours after I had sexual contact with this person. It has now been a little over 72 hours. My doctor was highly doubtful of HIV causing these symptoms, but thought that it was best to get tested for all types of STDs, so this morning I did a blood test and a urine test. We are going to follow up in 3 months with another blood test for HIV.

Would early symptoms (swollen tonsils, sore throat, night sweats) of contracting HIV show up this early, or would some of the other treatable and none treatable STD's also demonstate these symptoms aswell this soon following sexual intercourse?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:34 pm

User avatar Hello,Seroconversion illness occurs generally in 2 to 6 weeks time.So it is most unlikely and no cause to fear for the symptoms mentioned.

|