News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Can A STD test mistake HSV 1 for 2?

demolitionlover627 - Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:17 am

About a year ago, I had an STD test just to be sure I was clean of everything.
My blood test came back clear and they took a sample from my penis which also came back clear.

The doctor however told me that I had herpes. He couldn't however tell me which type, when I asked type 1 or 2? and turns out now I can see how inexperienced the doctor was.
I know I have a history of HSV1 because I have had cold sores on my mouth since I was a small child, and my mother had them, sister had them, so forth.

But I was curious if the STD test could have mistaken type 1 for 2 or if the virus is in your blood automatically because a patient has a history of type 1. What makes this even harder is the fact that he wouldn't specify the type.
I haven't had any outbreaks whatsoever in my genital region anywhere, but to this day I continue to get a cold sore about twice or more a year on my lip.

Thank you your answer is appreciated greatly.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:48 am

User avatar Hello,There are specific tests and nonspecific tests for HSV.It all depends what tests were ordered.The ELISA test can not distinguish between type 1 and 2 and cross react.Viral cultures are done on active vesicles or blisters so do PCR testing which are specific.Since you have tested negative there should be no cause for concern.Best wishes.

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here