News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Saliva and HSV 1 Transmission

smantha096 - Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:39 pm

I used my saliva as a lubricant to masturbate. I want to know if I could transmit my own hsv 1 infection to my own genitals from my own saliva? i am a virgin so the symptoms (tingling and burning in the genital region which I do get just about everyday, and under my thighs) could be a possible herpes infection (outbreak) or something totally irrelevant. I have been getting a lot of mixed answers, like no, yes, don't worry, or it can;t happen. Please answer, thanks.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:53 am

User avatar Hello,The answer is that it is possible but unlikely.Asymptomatic shedding of the virus even in the absence of clinical evidence cold sores is known.Autoinnoculation to eyes and fingers are known to occur.
The virus type1 has the facial site as the preffered location.This type though it could infect the genitals does not cause much problems and recurrences are uncommon.Abraded skin has more chances for infection than normal skin or mucosa.
It is best to practice prevention by cleaning the hands and outer skin with soap and water.The symtoms mentioned are mainly due to anxiety.
Best wishes.
 smantha096 - Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:28 pm

So, Should I not be worried at all? My doctor refuses to take a herpes select test to see if I have this or not either, as she doesn't think its possibly at all. Thanks for replying also. i have asked many, and never really got an answer.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:29 am

User avatar Hello,You may be right in saying that you do not have a specific answer.True,but since it is unlikely, your doctor feels that it is unnecessary for the test.My impression is the same.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here