Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Saliva and HSV 1 Transmission

smantha096 - Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:39 pm

I used my saliva as a lubricant to masturbate. I want to know if I could transmit my own hsv 1 infection to my own genitals from my own saliva? i am a virgin so the symptoms (tingling and burning in the genital region which I do get just about everyday, and under my thighs) could be a possible herpes infection (outbreak) or something totally irrelevant. I have been getting a lot of mixed answers, like no, yes, don't worry, or it can;t happen. Please answer, thanks.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:53 am

User avatar Hello,The answer is that it is possible but unlikely.Asymptomatic shedding of the virus even in the absence of clinical evidence cold sores is known.Autoinnoculation to eyes and fingers are known to occur.
The virus type1 has the facial site as the preffered location.This type though it could infect the genitals does not cause much problems and recurrences are uncommon.Abraded skin has more chances for infection than normal skin or mucosa.
It is best to practice prevention by cleaning the hands and outer skin with soap and water.The symtoms mentioned are mainly due to anxiety.
 smantha096 - Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:28 pm

So, Should I not be worried at all? My doctor refuses to take a herpes select test to see if I have this or not either, as she doesn't think its possibly at all. Thanks for replying also. i have asked many, and never really got an answer.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:29 am

User avatar Hello,You may be right in saying that you do not have a specific answer.True,but since it is unlikely, your doctor feels that it is unnecessary for the test.My impression is the same.

|