Forum Name: Fungal infections

Question: How long can you have a gardneralla vaginalis infection?

cucumber4 - Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:16 am

I have had a chunky whitish/ yellow vaginal discharge for about a year now. It has a fishy foul odor. I have gone to the doctor multiple times for it, they either claim it is a yeast infection or say that is just my normal vaginal flow. I've used many over the counter yeast infection treatments, and also a prescription pill. Ive been taking acidophilus supplements for about three months now and the discharge and odor still haven't gone away. Could I possibly have a gardnerella vaginalis infection? Could it be around for that long? Doctors have never suggested it, but I've been reading about it and the symptoms seem to match up correctly. I just don't think my "normal" vaginal flow could be that chunky and that odorous all the time. Please help!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat May 22, 2010 12:39 pm

User avatar Hello,BV ie Bacterial vaginosis is a common infection met in women attending OPDs.This is caused by a resident anaerobe residing in the vaginal passage.This causes change in the vaginal flora leading to charecterestic malodour.This occurs in women of reproductive age.
Examining the discharge and treating the discharge woth KOH on a slide would produce odour.(Whiff test)
Metronidazole orally is effective orally.

|