Forum Name: AIDS

Question: HIV Seropositive but Viral Load Negative

StainlessSteelNeuron - Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:07 am

I tested positive for HIV antibodies a few weeks ago. After three of four repeat blood tests after (they kept calling and asking me to come in again, "results were indeterminate") I've finally been told that I don't have HIV. Despite having HIV antibodies. My doctor said "it appears you were in contact with HIV at some point" but was rather vague as to my current condition.

I was somewhat stupefied in the doctor's office after hearing this, so I didn't follow up with enough questions like "Wtf?" and "Might I still have it, albeit in very low concentrations?" and "Might the antibody tests have been inaccurate?"

I didn't even think to get the names of the tests performed.

I read somewhere that people using Acyclovir (which valacyclovir turns into in the body, and I am taking for herpes simplex-1) can set off HIV antibody tests.

I also read that the viral load tests can detect as few as 40 viral copies, and there is a related yes/no test that can detect only one copy. I need to determine which tests have been run. I'm assuming a decent spread, given that I had two vials drawn about four times.

My physician said he wanted another viral load done in six months. Any other tests I can take, or resources to study?

I need as much information as possible. I am abstaining from all sexual interaction for now, but I need to know for a sense of conclusion as well as sexual reasons, am I HIV positive?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:27 am

User avatar Hello,While I am not sure what tests have been done as confirmatory tests.But then your doctor must be right and he knows perfectly well,and you must trust his decision.
Do you have an history of exposure of unsafe sex,transfusions,or IV drugs?The history is very important and as to how many weeks had elapsed after the last exposure.This is a general query and would not affect your results.
It is possible that a Western Blot Test was done in your case and reported as indeterminate since the bands did not qualify for positive bands.
Most indeterminates ultimately turn to be negatives as in your case.
Do practise safesex always and do follow up with your physician.Best wishes.

|