News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: AIDS

Question: need information please

AidanJ - Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:02 pm

My uncle, who has been living with AIDS for some time now, has recently taken ill. He was diagnosed with something called "Mac" (not sure I'm spelling it right, I only heard it over the phone) apparently related to his cats. I can't find any information on thils anywhere. What is it? What are his chances of pulling through this particular infection? He als o may have cancer in his shoulder. Does AIDS cause and increased risk for or resistance to cancers? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Aidan
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:38 pm

MAC stands for Mycobacterium avium complex which consists of 2 predominant species, Mycobacterium avium and Mycobacterium intracellulare. It is not connected with cats..

An environmental source of infection is difficult to determine. MAC has been isolated from household and hospital water supplies. Other potential associations include ingestion of raw fish or hard cheese, daily showering, and occupational exposure to water.

The disease is transmitted by inhalation through the respiratory tract and ingestion via the mouth.

The disease connected with cats and found in some AIDS patients is Toxoplasmosis. AIDS increases the risk of developing some cancers. His prognosis depends on his CD4 cell count and response to treatment for MAC.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here