Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Shooting pelvic pain after intercourse

Leahmy - Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:30 pm

i have had this type of pressure/pain (more pressure really) before but mildly on it's own. and maybe more severe when i go to bathroom. i have had some constipation problems.

my concern. i had unprotected sex in an odd angle to where the man had direct contact to my front pelvis area. we finished with a condom however. i was sore at my lower pelvic area and a couple of days later shooting pains in that area. it went away after 10 minutes or so. i went to my gyn (was time for my yearly anyway) and told them my concern. they did the full pap and other manual things they check. they recommended gonorrhea and Chlamydia testing because they saw no sign of sores no herpes test was done and was told is unlikely. (all came back ok)... i have been ok until yesterday. i used a vibrator. after maybe 5 -6 hours, i started getting those sharp pains again center of lower pelvic area. maybe very slightly to the left at one point. and minor lower back pain. it has subsided a bit and now it's more dull almost gone. i do have some side pains, but they feel like they are more muscle soreness than internal. side as in right where the dip of the stomach is below the breasts. i read now on symptoms and it says herpes can also appear on the inside (cervix etc). do these symptoms sound like herpes?

.. foot note. i have sjogren's.

thank you for your help.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:48 am

In the past herpes virus type 2 was mainly associated with genital herpes but of late, both herpes virus type 1 & 2 seen to cause this condition.

The disease initially appears as
- a 'First outbreak', during which the symptoms are severe and later on
- continues to cause 'recurrent outbreaks' of lesser severity.

Women tend to experience more severe disease and higher rates of complications during the first outbreak. In women, herpes lesions may occur anywhere in the genital area including the vulva, inside the vagina, on the cervix, and urethra. Herpes lesions can also occur in extra-genital areas such as the thighs & buttocks. Herpetic lesions are common during the first outbreak, but the typical vesicles,each perched on top of an erythematous base may not be seen.Rather,there may be tiny acute ulcers.
The first outbreak symptoms are as follows.
- fever
- myalgia
- malaise
- headache &
- lymphadenopathy.

At times, "Internal outbreaks" may occur (lesions affecting the inside of the cervix and/or urethra). These cases may present with
- deep pelvic pain
- vaginal discharge
- Dysuria &
- dyspareunia

internal outbreaks have the potential to be misdiagnosed as a pelvic inflammatory disease, yeast infection, cervicitis (inflammation of the cervix), and Herpetic lesions that involve the urethra may be misdiagnosed as a bladder dysfunction or urinary tract infection.

In recurrent infections, women may experience only irritation in the genital area without a rash. Therefore, it is important that women presenting with recurrent vaginal symptoms or vaginal discharge be investigated for herpes.

Although your symptomatology is not typical of herpes outbreaks, herpes needs to be excluded. Sjogren's syndrome may be contributing to the atypicality.
 Leahmy - Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:34 pm

Thank you for your response. I have an appointment in a few weeks for a blood test. It feels almost like life and death.
Update .. 4 days after my post .. just an FYI so it will benefit others looking for info at least .. I had strong period pain that lasted maybe 2 minutes the first day of it. Then it went away. Just usual cramps later. Never had that pain before. Pelvic area like before .. its like almost on the wall of the skin internally. Where my bladder is above my pubic bone. My period is gone and still have the pelvic pain .. now also my lower back and back of legs my thighs my joints.. I am assuming it is also related to my sjogrens bc the leg and joint pain is familiar just not the pelvic pain.
I will come back to give u the diagnosis.
Thank you doctor again for your response.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:25 pm

User avatar Hello Leahmy,
Thanks for updating me about your condition and plans. Wishing you speedy recovery....& luck!

|