Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Infection from hand contact

brooklynboro - Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:37 pm

Doctor,
I am a 22 year old heterosexual male suffering from mild depression. Recently, I have been very unhappy
and experiencing extreme bouts of worthlessness. Lately, I had been spending most of my day daydreaming and looking at Playboy magazines.
As a result of which I had began on an endless cycle of feeling even more so worthless. As a remedy for my troubles,
a friend of mine suggested that it would be a good idea to illustrate how good my life is, by trying to show me that I am not a sexual compulsive
person-just lonely, lazy, unhappy, spoiled, and out of touch with the world. Furthermore, he decided it would be entertaining and productive to
attend a Sexual Addiction 12 Step Meeting at a local YMCA, after all of this 'Tiger Woods' media.
Feeling like my life couldn't get any worse I agreed to accompany him. Well, in one sense, my freind was
right, and after the meeting I realized that the people at the meeting had lives a whole lot worse than mine. Some spoke of having HIV and other STDs. It also
seemed apparent that many of the individuals were homosexual and bisexual deviants looking to meet others like themselves and were in denial.
Afterwards, my friend thought the whole thing was pretty entertaining and funny.
I guess it did enlighten me of how good my life actually is, and how sick this world can actually be. I do value my life and well being.
Though,for the past few days I have been experiencing post traumatic stress, guilt, and a bit of paranoia from the whole experience.
I was unaware that at the end of a 12 step meeting people hold hands and in a panic I complied with the tradition.
So my question is, should I be worried that I have contracted any diseases such as Herpes simplex 1 or 2 or HPV(warts, fungal, skin disorders...?) by making
hand contact and talking with these individuals? I made sure to wash my hands and take a shower the minute I returned home. I may have touched my face prior to washing my hands, though.
I feel as if I shouldn't have put myself in such a situation. In a rational mindset I wouldn't have agreed to go.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:00 am

User avatar Hello,If a skin to skin casual contact could spread STDs we would be having a pandemic that would surpass all swine flu and the likes!But then it is not true.
It would need vigorous contact like rubbing,dampness,and more of a mucosal injury to transmit infections.And then our body has physical barries,immune cells to counteract any pathogens to enter.
You can be rest assured that you did not do any activity that compromised your health status.

|