Forum Name: AIDS

Question: HIV transmission through blood.

kripssmart - Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:39 pm

I would like to know more about the possibility of HIV transmission through blood. Please know that I am not from any medical background.

Suppose a person received some food from an infected person which somehow happened to had a spot of his infected blood in it. And the first person had an open wound in his lips/mouth and he eats that food without noticing the blood in it. In such a case does this person has any chance of getting infected with HIV as there is a possibility that the infected blood can get in contact with the first person’s blood stream through the open wound? How significant the virus would be in such a case?

Also please let me know how long the virus can remain active in open air?

-Kripa.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:45 am

User avatar Hello,HIV virus should enter the blood stream in sufficient quantity to be infective.For example there should be a column of blood trapped, as in a needle.Also oral cavity is inhospitable to HIV virus and though there are sexual transmissions due to mucosal erosions,sharing food would not transmit due to low number of virus.There is also some evidence that saliva contains some factors which kill the virus.

|