Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: HIV transmission period

ilovewm2 - Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:29 pm

I understand that there is a window period between transmission and when HIV is detected by a HIV test. However I am wondering if there is a a waiting period between having sex with a HIV positive person and infection/tranmission. I read that the test detects HIV antibodies, but are these only detected in the bloodstream? Because I thought it can take a while for HIV to enter the blood stream. This is why i ask. So does the window period begin immediately after exposure to an infected person or later? I wana make sure a HIV test is performed at a time where it would definately detect HIV if I was infected.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:13 pm

There would not be much point in doing the antibody testing prior to three months after exposure. A negative test at three months usually means a person is not infected with HIV. If an individual’s test is still negative at six months, and they have not been at risk of HIV infection in the meantime, it means they are not infected with HIV.

Keep in mind, you could become infected by another exposure if you are careless in that way and if you are infected you can spread the virus to others even before you know the results of your tests at three or six months.

|