News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: MRSA infection in 4 month old son

ConnorsMommy - Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:17 am

Hello- my son has just been hospitalized for getting MRSA post-surgery (orchiopexy)...I am wondering, since he will have MRSA bacteria for the rest of his life, how do I take special care of his cuts as he gets older so that they too don't become infected and turn into a boil? I know MRSA infects when there is a break in the skin, so I am wondering if i should cover whatever breaks in the skin he gets during play as he is a child? Secondly, they prescribed Clindamycin, and I've noticed since he's taken it that he sometimes goes cross eyed for a few seconds or his eyes roll in the back of his head- and this is not usual at all for him, never seen him do it before..And he quickly snaps out of this, but it is cause for concern to me!! Thank you!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:49 pm

User avatar Hi,
Your son had a methicillin resistant staph aureus(MRSA) infection while in hospital, was treated successfully and was discharged home.

Infections with MRSA, in the not so distant past, had been limited primarily to hospitalized patients or patients in long-term care facilities. However, recent reports of increasing "community-acquired" MRSA infections are causing concern.
These infections, reportedly occur in otherwise healthy, non-hospitalized persons without known contact with healthcare personnel or other colonized patients.

Colonization is the presence, growth, and multiplication of the organism in one or more body sites without observable clinical symptoms or immune reaction. A ‘carrier’ refers to an individual who is colonized with MRSA. One of the most common sites of colonization is the anterior nares. While health care personnel may become colonized with MRSA, they rarely develop infections with the organism.

Community based studies show that approximately 20% of individuals almost always carry one strain and are called "persistent carriers". A large proportion of the population (60%) harbors S. aureus intermittently, and such persons are called "intermittent carriers". Finally, a minority of people (< 20%) almost never carry S.aureus and are called "noncarriers". Persistent carriage is more common in children than in adults.

Because your son had an MRSA infection while in hospital, it does not automatically mean that he is at a perpetually increased risk of MRSA infections in the future. Everyone in the community (including your son), are at an ever increasing risk. Ofcourse, if your son happens to be a carrier, his theoretical risk certainly increases and risk also potentially increases if a member of the family (includes yourself) or a person who comes into close contact with your son also is a carrier.

As to how long a person in a community will remain a carrier (and which type of a carrier) is a matter of conjecture.

Nasal carriers in the hospital setting are generally treated with may be treated with topical Mupirocin used as short courses (application to the nares twice daily for 5 days). Results of administration of systemic antibiotics have been generally disappointing.
I hope this information is helpful.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here