News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Molluscum contagiosum? Pictures!

ohman - Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:17 am

I'm pretty positive these aren't pearly penile papules and they aren't the small white bumps all over the penis that can sometimes have pus.

This looks to me like Molluscum contagiosum but I would like a doctor to take a look. I do have herpes but I've only gotten two outbreaks ever and these are nothing like those. I put 5% acetic acid on them to determine if they are genital warts and they did not turn white (this might be a myth).

The new ones are more white, and the old ones get dark.

Pics:

http://s947.photobucket.com/albums/ad31 ... c8184d.pbw

How can I get rid of them and PREVENT them??
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:33 pm

User avatar Hello,I could not see the photos since they seem deleted from photobucket.However from your description one could be quite certain about molluscum contagiosum.They can be single or in groups,dome shaped and pearly white in color with a dimple at the center called umbilication.Cause is a virus but it can spread by nonsexual means too.In HIV they could be large giant molluscum.
Treated best by curettage or by cryo.Immune modifiers are also used as external applications.Most cases resolve spontaneously.Do confirm diagnosis with your doctor.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here