News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: AIDS

Question: when should i check myself for hiv

dinesh - Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:46 am

sir please help me i am in confusion
i had sex with sex worker last month jun 26, 2010 ,first she did oral sex on me unprotectdly and after with condom had vaginal sex .
and now i am worrying about myself getting infected with any virus,is there possible of transfer of virus from her mouth saliva to me and from vaginal sex even though its with condom, if anything happen , i mean if i got infection means when should i check for hiv...
sir please help me.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:41 am

User avatar Hello,Oral sex without condom ,inserter or receiver with or without ejaculation need to be tested for chlamydia,gonococcal infections,HIV,HPV,syphilis,Hepatitis Band C.Withdrawl before ejaculation would significantly help in reducing the rate of spread of infection.
Presence of gum disease,ulceration,or recent flossing could potentiate infection if organisms are present.
HIV virus can get transmitted by unprotected sex even by oral sex but less commonly so.
You must know your HIV status since it can help in getting proper treatment,preventing infection to others,and also warding off life threatening infections.
The test involves detecting antibodies which generally manifest about 3 weeks after exposure.Almost all people infected would have antibodies by 3 months.Rarest cases take 6months to develop antibodies.
If ELISA test is reported negative the person can be told he is free from the disease after the window period.If found positive a repeat is done on the same sample.If it is again positive Western blot is done to confirm.If both are positive it is confirmed.
Counselling is most important and pre and post are equally important.
Best wishes.
 dinesh - Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:32 am

First of all My (male) sincereThanks for valuable guidense, one more thing that so when should i check for HIV , is after 3 months of incident ? or now i have to check, if yes means which test Either EliSA or HIV pCR because its now 2 weeks 4 days happened that i had sex with prostitute ( first with unprotected oral sex after protected vaginal sex and unprotected oral sex but i didnt have any wounds or scratches on my penis is there still risk?) please give your valuable guidense.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here