Forum Name: AIDS

Question: False neg HIV tests??

elrye1980 - Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:19 pm

I am 30 y/o, married with twin boys. I had a suspicion I might have been exposed to HIV in july 2002. I had a test done in Dec, which came back neg. I read to have a second test done to confirm, which i did, 6 months later, which also came back neg. With those reults i felt safe to have kids. However, i have been having strange symptoms lately. I have a raised thin line down the inside of both cheeks, and have been getting thrush like patches,(just 1 or 2 at a time) on the inside of my upper and lower lips. Also, small red marks, on my legs, and a spot on my lower back, which are freakin me out cause they look like KS. Since the presentation of these symptoms, , I have had 2 more tests done, both of which came back neg. Am I just being overly paranoid, or should I be concerned, and is it really possible to have 4 false neg HIV tests???
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:53 am

User avatar Hello,If the tests were done beyond the window period you must consider yourself negative.This relates to only when you are not in a window period of 3 to 6 months 3 months being the normal window period for most of the population.
Rapid testing or traditional ELISA have a high sensitivity and detects the antibodies with an accuracy of over 99%.
Thus assuming that you have not engaged in activities that put you to risk to HIV,which may again put you in a window period if ELISA is negative there is virtually no chance that you have HIV and should consider your self HIV negative provided you have used the standard kits for testing.
Suppose a person develops symptoms of seroconversion after a recent exposure to HIV,like a flulike illness,can get a viral load test in addition to HIV antibody test.
The thrush and other conditions can be treated with ease by your doctor.Do consult your doctor for the same.
With my good wishes.Cheers!
 elrye1980 - Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:05 pm

Thank you for the feedback, I was hoping you would say that lol. The first 2 tests I had done, they were sent out, and I had to wait a week for the results, but the last 2 were the rapid tests, which they said were very accurate. So I didnt think I had anything to worry about, but wanted to make sure. Ty again =)

|